Choccolocco Valley, Alabama – some historic sites destroyed | Alabama Pioneers
“The Indians named the creek “Choccolocco”, the valley was named for the creek, and the mountains were named for the valley. In the Creek Indian language “chahko” means “shoals” and “Iago” means “big”, and the Choccolocco Creek is a wide shallow stream with big shoals.The Choccolocco Valley is in the large area extending from the Coosa River to the Georgia boundry. that was designated as Benton County in 1830 In 1858 the name of the county was changed from Benton to Calhoun.“
When Alabama became a state in 1819 the north, eastern, and central territory belonged to the Creek Nation and was not open to Settlers. The William Mallory family was one of the first to come to this valley. The land was still Indian Territory. Mallory first set up a trading post near White Plains. Mallory acquired several hundred acres land on the creek directly from the Indians, according to folklore.
After the Federal Survey of Indian Lands was completed, Choccolocco Valley was opened in 1834. By the terms of the 1832 Cusseta Treaty, the Creeks were escorted out of Alabama to Arkansas in 1836.”
[…complete article on source site]