William / Lamochattee “Red Eagle” Weatherford, Chief is your first cousin 7 times removed’s wife’s first cousin once removed’s wife’s son.
You [CAA] →
Gerald Lee Abernathy your father →
Lee Abernathy his father →
Benjamin Franklin Abernethy his father →
William Pinkney (Willie P.) Abernethy his father →
Benjamin Logan (Logan Benjamin) Abernethy his father →
Turner T. Abernethy his father →
Robert Abernathy his father →
David Abernathy, Sr. his father →
John B. Abernathy, Sr. his brother →
John Abernathy, Jr. his son →
Rhoda ABERNATHY his wife →
Mary Davis her mother →
Henry Tate her father →
Robert Hood Tate his brother →
John David Abram Tate his son →
Sahoy III of Tuckabatche, lll his wife →
William / Lamochattee “Red Eagle” Weatherford, Chief
[…more on source site]
“(…) By common tradition and the busk expression, “We are Kos-istagi,” still used by them, we know that there are several other towns descended from Coosa, though no longer bearing the name. The most important of these was Otciapofa, commonly called “Hickory Ground,” whose people came from Little Tulsa. Little Tulsa was the seat of the famous Alexander McGillivray and was located on the east bank of Coosa River 3 miles above the falls. After his death the inhabitants all moved to the Hickory Ground, Otciapofa, which was on the same side of the river just below the falls.35 The condition of this latter town in 1799 is thus described by Hawkins:
O-che-au-po-fau; from Oche-ub, a hickory tree, and po-fau, in or among, called by the traders, hickory ground. It is on the left bank of the Coosau, two miles above the fork of the river, and one mile below the falls, on a flat of poor land, just below a small stream; the fields are on the right side of the river, on rich flat land; and this flat extends back for two miles, with oak and hickory, then pine forest; the range out in this forest is fine for cattle; reed is abundant in all the branches.
The falls can be easily passed in canoes, either up or down; the rock is very different from that of Tallapoosa; here it is ragged and very coarse granite; the land bordering on the left side of the falls is broken or waving, gravelly, not rich. At the termination of the falls there is a fine little stream, large enough for a small mill, called, from the clearness of the water, We-hemt-le, good water.36 Three and a half miles above the town are ten apple trees, planted by the late General McGillivray; half a mile further up are the remains of Old Tal-e-see,37 formerly the residence of Mr. Lochlan (38) and his son, the general . Here are ten apple trees, planted by the father, and a stone chimney, the remains of a house built by the son, and these are all the improvements left by the father and son.
These people are, some of them, industrious. They have forty gunmen, nearly three hundred cattle, and some horses and hogs; the family of the general belong to this town; he left one son and two daughters; the son is in Scotland, with his grand-father, and the daughters with Sam Macnack [Moniac], a half-breed, their uncle; the property is much of it wasted. The chiefs have requested the agent for Indian affairs to take charge of the property for the son, to prevent its being wasted by the sisters of the general or by their children. Mrs. Durant, the oldest sister, has eight children. She is industrious, but has no economy or management. In possession of fourteen working negroes, she seldom makes bread enough, and they live poorly. She can spin and weave, and is making some feeble efforts to obtain clothing for her family. The other sister, Sehoi, has about thirty negroes, is extravagant and heedless, neither spins nor weaves, and has no government of her family. She has one son, David Tale [Tate?] who has been educated in Philadelphia and Scotland. He promises to do better.(39) […]”
via Coosa and Their Descendants.[…]”
“(…) Coosa is a large village, the largest to be met after leaving Santa Elena on the road we took from there. It may contain about 150 people – that is, judging by the size of the village. It seems to be a wealthier place than all the others; there are generally a great many Indians in it. It is situated in a valley at the foot of a mountain. All around it at one-quarter, one-half, and one league there are very many big places. It is a very fertile country; its situation is at midday’s sun or perhaps a little less than midday.19
Fear of this tribe, allied with the “Chisca, Carrosa, and Costehe,” was what decided Pardo to turn back to Santa Elena.20 While Vandera seems to say that Coosa had 150 inhabitants, he must mean neighborhoods, otherwise it certainly would not be the largest place the Spaniards had discovered. Garcilasso says that in Coosa there were 500 houses, but he is wont to exaggerate.21 At the same time, if Vandera means 150 neighborhoods and Garcilasso counted all classes of buildings, the two statements could be reconciled very well.
And now, after enjoying such early prominence, the Coosa tribe slips entirely from view, and when we next catch a glimpse of it its ancient importance has gone. Adair, the first writer to notice the town particularly, says:
In the upper or most western part of the country of the Muskohge there was an old beloved town, now reduced to a small ruinous village, called Koosahy which is still a place of safety to those who kill undesignedly. It stands on commanding ground, overlooking a bold river.22
The name appears in the enumerations of 1738, 1750,23 and 1760,24 and a part at least in the enumeration of 1761.25 In 1796 John O’ Kelly, a half-breed, was trader there, having succeeded his father.26[…]”
John O’Kelly was the white trader to the Upper Creek town of Coosa. His half-blood son, John O’Kelly (also known as Toe Kelly), became chief of Coosa in the 1790s. O’Kelly was invited to Pensacola in 1794 to a council with the Spanish, and he signed the Treaty of Fort Jackson as chief of Coosa in 1814. Under the treaty, O’Kelly claimed land where Kelly Creek joins the Coosa River. He then established a branch of the town Coosa along the Kelly Creek. The town was then known as Kelly’s Town until the Indian Removal Act. The community was originally called Kelly’s Creek for the creek named for O’Kelly. After the Civil War, it became known as New London. By the 1880’s, it was known primarily as London. A post office was established under the name Kellys Creek in 1841 and was in operation until 1908.
LINK: [TREATY] — United States Statutes at Large Volume 7.djvu/132 – Wikisource, the free online library
TREATY WITH THE CREEKS. 1814